Aventuras

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Gore-Tex Experience Tour Casting: Training Part 5 - Weds. & Thursday





Usually I hit the bouldering shrooms on the campus lawn at the University Politecnica de Valencia on Wedsnesdays. Its a great place to get some training in, socialize, and enjoy the college atmosphere.







However, since some of my climbing partners had the day off. We went to Jerica where we could get some quality sport climbing done. Again, I went with Sharon, she got stuck with belaying me the first pitch of 5+ and got a lesson from Alex Vlcia on using a Cinch. Later I up-ed the grade a bit and after a few more pitches I finished the day topping out on a 6b. All in all, the day turned out to be a nice day climbing.








On Thursday, Sharon and I decided to head into the Sierra Calderona to do some excercise. She took her mountain bike and I opted to do some trail running. Starting out at Santo Espiritu, we did the short route up to the Pico del Aguila and back. It was 55 minutes of training over 300 meters of altitude change. It could have been a more intense workout but it is much better than doing nothing. While I was looking for a map to show the route, I came across the map below. It is interesting because it also shows some other trail running routes in the area, especially the circular route out of Segart through the Canal Garbi. I especially like this route for its intensity through the Canal Garbi and the long downhill into Segart.





Between the last post and this one, you have had a peak into my normal week in training. Obviously, its specific for rock climbing, the sport which I practice the most. Yet effecient for long outings in the mountains where 12 hour days are the norm. It is also a program that I can fit into the rest of my life with work and my wife. For more demanding projects, I change my training to optimize the outing I plan to do. For example, if I get the chance continue with Robert Jasper in the Gore-Tex experience tour, I know I will have to intensify my training to climb the NW face of the Dome de Neige!

No comments:

Post a Comment