Aventuras

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Preparing for Puig Campana's Central Spur (400m, V)


Rock climbing is a sport of systems and objectives. The systems are what get you to your objectives and my next objective is to climb the 9 pitches of Puig Campana's Central Spur (including Edwards finish 3 pitches more) before May 28th.

Here in this picture you can count the pitches, yet to reach the summit, you must go by Edward's Finish, add on a few more.

There are several hurdles I must jump to be able to meet my goal. First, I must try to keep myself in as good physical shape as possible while juggling the demands of my very demanding job. Its Thursday and I have already worked more than 40 hours. However, I have been able to run on Tues. and Thurs. morning and on Mon. I was able to squeeze in some abs and push-up (100 each). Second, I must work my way up to trad climbing comfortably. I have only been out trad climbing less than 10 times, and less than 5 of those on lead. So I must concentrate on placing the right gear the first time and moving quickly and safely. Third, putting the these together, work my way up to 12 pitches. This includes one of the most important factors, handling the rope correctly and efficiently.

So I have a game plan. First, the South Spur of Penyagolosa (IV, 125m), then the West Ridge of Coin Tower (Torreon de la Moneda, V, 270m), afterwards it will be difficult to find a proper route closer to home, perhaps I'll travel south to Mascarat link up the trad/sport route "Llobert/Bertomeu", V+ 250m consisting of 7 pitches, or the mostly clean Pertemba Spur, V+, 300m, consisting of 9 pitches in .....

Perhaps after all this, I'll be able to take on Ponoig's classic "Via Valencianos" 6a, 400m in 13 pitches!!


No comments:

Post a Comment